Swans on the River Brue

Harpford Bridge

Bridge Name:   Harpford Bridge
No.:   27
Location:   Near Runnington
Build Date:   1832
Engineer:   James Green
Masonary road bridge over remains of Grand Western Canal. Single arch span built of squared and coursed local rubble stone with red sandstone, saddle back coping partly cemented over. Dressed voussoirs to elliptical headed arc, curved abutments ending in square pilasters, string course above. English Heritage Listed Building Number: 270979.1 On the route of the Wiveliscombe to Whiteball turnpike operated by the Wiveliscombe Trust2
References:   1. Somerset HER id=16374
2.Somerset Roads The Legacy of the Turnpikes Phase 1 - Western Somerset J B Bentley & B J Murless.

Print this | Send this | Hits: 4643 | | Return to Bridge List | Prev [<< Higher Wellisford Aqueduct] | Next [Nynehead House Aqueduct >>]